NEWS:

The Best Movie Serials

Here is a place to talk about Classic Movie Serials... or Cliffhangers as they were to be known as. This is something I have just recently become a fan of and felt it deserved a board of it's very own!

The Best Movie Serials

Postby Rogmeister on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:40 am

I mentioned this before...a message board I've gone to (but don't go to much anymore) had a poll back in 2001 to find what everyone thought were the best movie serials. They invited people to list their picks for the best and each serial that was included got points based on where each person picked it. Here are the results...it's supposed to be a Top 15 but there is a tie for 15th place...

1. FLASH GORDON - 114 pts.- (Universal/1936) Directed by Frederick Stephani
2. DRUMS OF FU MANCHU - 102.5 pts. (Republic/1940) Directed by William Witney & John English
3. ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL - 78 pts.(Republic/1941) Directed by Witney & English
4. SPY SMASHER - 76 pts. (Republic/1942) Directed by William Witney
5. DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE - 70.5 pts. (Republic/1939) Directed by Witney & English
6. ZORRO'S FIGHTING LEGION - 70 pts. (Republic/1939) Directed by Witney & English
7. MYSTERIOUS DR. SATAN - 65.5 pts (Republic/1940) Directed by Witney & English
8. THE PERILS OF NYOKA (a/k/a NYOKA AND THE TIGERMEN) - 45 pts. (Republic 1942) Directed by William Witney
9. THE SPIDER'S WEB - 42 pts. (Columbia/1938) Directed by Ray Taylor & James W. Horne
10. FLASH GORDON'S TRIP TO MARS - 30 pts. (Universal/1938) Directed by Ford Beebe & Robert Hill
11. THE LONE RANGER - 26 pts. (Republic/1938) Directed by Witney & English
12. THE SECRET CODE - 24 pts. (Columbia/1942) Directed by Spencer Bennet
13. MANHUNT OF MYSTERY ISLAND - 22 pts. (Republic/1945) Directed by Spencer Bennet, Wallace Grissell, and Yakima Canutt
14. THE MASKED MARVEL - 21 3/4 pts. (Republic/1943) Directed by Spencer Bennet
15. HAWK OF THE WILDERNESS - 21 pts. (Republic/1938) Directed by Witney & English
(tie) KING OF THE ROYAL MOUNTED - 21 pts. (Republic/1940) Directed by Witney & English

As you can see, Spy Smasher did indeed place in the top five...at number four to be precise. I have most of these but there are a couple I do not have, including The Lone Ranger. There are a few I have but only on VHS, Mysterious Doctor Satan and Daredevils of the Red Circle. I'm not sure if those have ever been put out on DVD by anyone. Maybe I should check AC Comics' website and see if they ever did DVDs of those? A few of these I got from Richard Orsak, a guy who does his own DVD recording and which I have been very satisfied with but I've not bought anything from him for over a year. I might have to do some searching to find him again if I wanted to buy from him again.
Rogmeister
Who Needs A Life - I Have DVDs!

Re: The Best Movie Serials

Postby addicted2dvd on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:17 am

I am kinda surprised not any of the superhero ones on there... I always loved those! :p)
addicted2dvd
Admin
Admin

Postby Rogmeister on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Well, Captain Marvel is up there. But I don't think the Superman or Batman ones are considered all that great...compared to the ones up above anyway.
Rogmeister

Postby addicted2dvd on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:33 pm

yup... overlooked Captain Marvel... but I love the superhero ones the most. I have to admit though... Spy Smasher is right up there with the superhero ones! :)

Hmmmm... maybe... just maybe... this weekend I will do a superhero serial marathon. I couldn't watch as many movies as I usually do... but think it could be fun... lets see I could watch (choose between)...

- Adventures of Captain Marvel
- Atom Man vs Superman
- Batman
- Batman and Robin
- The Green Archer??... not sure if I would consider him a superhero... similar to Batman.. but maybe?
- The Phantom??... another not sure about... but would be similar to Batman I think
- Superman

Sounds like it could be a fun weekend... and haven't watched them recently... did watch The Green Archer a few months back though.
addicted2dvd
Admin
Admin

Postby Rogmeister on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:42 pm

By the way, I looked up AC Comics' website and they do have some serials available that are on the list that I don't have on DVD, including a couple I have but just on VHS. So I may splurge and place an order for those. They are going for about $25 each.
Rogmeister

Postby addicted2dvd on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:03 pm

That's cool... do they have Captain America?
addicted2dvd
Admin
Admin

Postby addicted2dvd on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Speaking of which... I just found the Captain America trailer on Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEyGoRkVDMs

Definitely one I would like to see. :)
addicted2dvd
Admin
Admin

Postby Rogmeister on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:12 pm

I don't think so. I doubt that anyone can legally sell that now.
Rogmeister

Postby addicted2dvd on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:15 pm

oh well... that is too bad. looked pretty good by the trailer. :)
addicted2dvd
Admin
Admin

Postby Rogmeister on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:31 pm

I wonder if I could copy mine? I don't know if it has any copyguard protection on it or not.
Rogmeister

Postby addicted2dvd on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Unfortunately there isn't a single VCR left here in my house. So unfortunately if you did copy it to VHS I couldn't see it. But thanks for the thought anyway! :)
addicted2dvd
Admin
Admin

Postby Rogmeister on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Well, I do have a DVD recorder so I was actually thinking of copying it to DVDs. My nephew might have something that copies DVDs...I'll ask him the next time I see him.
Rogmeister

Postby addicted2dvd on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:30 pm

oh... that is cool... I would love to have a dvd recorder. Maybe one of these days I will pick one up! :)
addicted2dvd
Admin
Admin

Return to Movie Serials